Archives

Projects

Recent Projects: Lighting, Blinds, and Shelving

DC Project

DC Project

DC Project

DC Project

DC Project

DC Project

Ok, so there is actually only one recent project on this post. Among the other two, one is a not so recent project, and the other is recent, but not really a project. First up is the non-project project, a new light fixture in the living room. The glass dome on the old fixture spontaneously fell off the ceiling one night— talk about startling. It was replaced with some inexpensive Ikea lighting.

When we picked up the light fixture from Ikea, we also picked up some venetian blinds for our back door. We had to use some wood shims to keep the blinds away from the knob and lock, which made for an unsightly mess in addition to the bulky metal hardware. We made a simple valence out of some left over wood, and I painted it and the slats a nice neutral color (Krylon, River Rock). Now all we have to do is hang some curtains.

The last project was one we actually did last year. I finally took some photos of the pipe shelving and put it up on the projects page. Click here for more photos and details.

Recent Project: Water Pipe

DC Project

DC Project

I gave the water pipe in our room a quick update by adding some more copper contact paper.

Recent Projects: Vows, Water Pipe, and a Cord

DC Project

DC Projects

DC Projects

DC Projects

This weekend was all about getting stuff done that we have been meaning to do. Our vows have been sitting in my vanity drawer for almost two years, waiting for us to do something with them. We knew we wanted to frame them, and we knew how we wanted to frame them after seeing some of Devon Deakou’s work up at Domy in Austin back in 2010. We had someone cut the mat board for us this weekend because we wanted a beveled edge, and finally got it up on the wall above our bed. The second project we did this weekend was wrap the water pipe in our room with copper contact paper. Simple, and keeps with the copper trend that we have going in our room. The last thing on our list was another simple one. We wanted to hang a lamp between our shelves in the living room, but I really hate seeing cords. So, I wrapped it with some baker’s twine, and now we don’t have to worry about hiding the cord. It’s also Eames proof(ish).

Recent Projects: Planter, Rope, and Recycling

DC Project

DC Project

DC Project

DC Project

The weather was really gray here in Boston this weekend, so we ran a few errands, but otherwise stayed in. Unfortunately, errand number two, Blick, was closed for inventory (who does that on a Saturday). Turns out we had enough to keep us preoccupied this weekend without getting what we needed from Blick, anyway.

We did a handful of small projects including two I mentioned last Friday. First, I painted our cactus planter (like A Lovely Cupboard’s). It looks much better on our gray triangle shelf now. Steven made a test monkey’s fist knot for a couple things we are planning to do later. This one has been claimed by Charlotte. I made a knot trivet to go under our larger planter, so I don’t destroy the floor when I (remember to) water the plant. Lastly, I made the other DIY project I mentioned last week (Rebbeca’s Metalic Sack). Instead of metallic paint I used black, and we are using it as a recycling bag for the kitchen.

Recent Project: Triangle Shelf



DC Project

DC Project

We have a joint living and dining room space in our house. Above our couch is a gigantic painting a friend did for us, and above the dining table was a big gigantic empty space. We didn’t want a piece of art competing with the canvas, so we decided to make some shelving.

It was a fairly simple project once we purchased the right tools. My first thought was to use our miter box to do the angles. Unfortunately, our miter box only had a 45 degree angle cut, and turns out that a miter box that cuts the angle we needed doesn’t exist. At least not at our local Home Depot.

So, we bought a power tool. We tend to go for the smallest, apartment friendly tools that are out there, for one very simple reason. We don’t have very much storage space, and the closets we do have are already filled to the brim. We actually considered renting a mitre saw at first, but it was not worth the price. We are going to need it again for another project in the near future. They were out of the smallest (most inexpensive) miter saw, but they had plenty of the next one up. They guy we were speaking to actually offered to sell us that one, but at the price of the smaller model. Done.

The shelf took an afternoon to build, and was inexpensive (excluding the tools). I painted the shelf the next morning, and it was up by that evening. The hard part was finding the right things to put on it. We have a few small items, a cactus, and a test print of a small poster Steven is designing. Looks good for now! Oh and I should mention, that it is Charlotte’s new mission in life to knock off everything on the bottom shelf.