Litter Training

Litter Training

DESIGN CURIOSITIES IS NOW CURIOSITY AND CURIOSITIES

EamestheBunny53

Quick Info
Rabbits are fastidiously clean, they like to go in one place
House Rabbit Society provides great tips on how to litter train
We use a grated litter box
Our litter box is lined with a puppy pad
Silica gel litter can be used ONLY if a rabbit cannot reach it
The litter box is cleaned at least once a week
You can find the All Living Things at Petsmart
You can find a similar version by Ware at Critter Cages
Our Litter Pan
Eames was super easy to litter train. In fact, he only had two accidents when he was a baby, and they were both in my lap. The first time was in the car on the way home. The second time we were sitting on the couch, and he just couldn’t make it in time because I was holding him. Because he took to litter training so easy, I don’t have much advice to offer other than the basics. Simply put the litter box where your rabbit is going most, and keep the other areas of the cage clean. I would say Eames urinates in his litter pan 99% of the time. The other 1%? A result of accidental butt over edge. Bunny poops are a different matter. Most of the time Eames has a run of the house, so he “marks” it accordingly. This is not to say he goes everywhere. Just a few poops here and there to claim his property. For more specific information on litter training head over to the House Rabbit Society website.

Deciding what kind of litter box we were going to use for Eames was easy. Lucky for us, he went with it. We chose a grated litter pan from All Living Things, which is available at Petsmart. We chose this litter pan because we didn’t like the idea of Eames sitting in his own waste. We use a silica gel based litter in the bottom of the pan. This type of litter can only be used if the rabbit cannot reach it. If ingested it can be toxic. We also line the bottom of his pan with a puppy pad. It prevents staining, and makes for easy cleanup (pull up a corner and everything comes out with it). It’s worth mentioning that some rabbits outsmart this pan, and rip the grating off. If this sounds like your bunny, it would be best to go with an un-grated pan and stick to hay and non-toxic litter. Here is a great comparison chart of the kinds of litters you can use, and the ones you should stay away from.

I clean the litter box once a week and toss the litter. One day, when we get tired of apartment living we plan on changing his litter to a more compostable option. For now, the silica gel just works for us.

House Bunny
House Bunny
House Bunny